23 April 2012

Beautifully Bottled

I have a thing about bottled curiosities.  I have such a vivid memory of a visit to the local natural science museum as a child and seeing unborn fetus preserved, forever suspended.  It was strangely fascinating and made me feel sad and sorry that they were locked in that moment never to be born and feel life.
At the same time they seemed pure and protected.  It's hard to put into words.

Artist, Iori Tomita, a Fishery sciences graduate, has created these beautiful bottled pieces by using something to make the protein transparent and infuse the bone and cartlidge with color.  I think they show nature in such a pure, tender and fragile way.  Love, love, love them.
I think I am going to experiment with drawing on transparency sheets, if they are still around.


No comments:

Post a Comment